Frequently Asked Questions

My name is Priya Bains and I am a Registered Psychologist in the Province of Alberta.  I earned a Master's degree in Counselling Psychology from McGill University  after attaining my Bachelor's of Science in Psychology from University of Alberta.  

 I have done extensive training through the Canadian Institute for Trauma Research and Education (CFTRE); where I have gained Self Regulation Therapy training and developmental trauma training.  I use a holistic lens as a result of this training, which allows me to work with clients' cognitive, emotional, and physiological processes that present in the counselling room.  

After 3 years of training through the Hakomi Institute, I have attained my certification as Hakomi Therapist.  Hakomi is a mindfullness centred somatic therapy that help clients change "core material" that has been influenced by developmental themes that are held unconsciously.  The heart of Hakomi occurs in loving presence of the therapist while working in the moment in very experiential and creative ways.  This training has helped me go "deeper" with my clients so we can discover together how to help organize experiences differently than previous held.  

I am currently enrolled in an Addictions Certificate program through Wilfred Laurier University.  My desire is to learn how addictions to psychoactive drugs or compulsive behaviours can interfere with people's relationships, careers, and overall physical and psychological well-being.

I use Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT) when working with relationships.  The basic premise of this lens is that couples are intimately attached to one another and focuses on how this attachment was constructed (sometimes maladaptively).  Once we understand the construction of the relationship, I would shape that construction into the form of a more secure attachment that nourishes and strengthens both partners.  

Continuing to gain more knowledge and skills is a commitment that I make to myself and to my clients.  As I continuing to grow, I am able to provide new elements to our therapeutic relationship.

What is the cost of counselling?

I charge $200 for a 50 minute session and $320 for 80 minute session.  

How is a Psychologist different than a Psychiatrist?

Psychologist holds a Masters or doctorate in the field of Psychology and registers as Psychologist. A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor with a specialization in Psychiatry; therefore, a psychiatrist can prescribe medications and generally treat symptoms of the problem.

How long does counselling take?

This varies, of course.  I recommend to clients should start to see progress in 8-10 sessions either with weekly or biweekly sessions.  At the 6 month mark, I generally evaluate the progress, or lack of progress, to which we would change course, if necessary.

Do you direct-bill insurance companies?

I do not direct bill any insurance companies.  I will provide a receipt with all the necessary information you would require to make a health claim.  I do accept visa, master card, debit and e-transfers.